“You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everybody,” (2 Corinthians 3:2 NIV).
Just before leaving our rented condominium after a week of sun, sand, and surf, at Hilton Head Island, SC, we found a treasure tucked under some old magazines on the coffee table. It was a 6 X 8 inch white guest book, signed by previous vacationers who had also shared a relaxing week away from home.
Feeling somewhat like a “peeping Tom” craning to peer into someone’s window, we cracked open the book and stole a glimpse into the personalities of our fellow travelers. With each entry, we visualized what the guests looked like, decided if we would like to invite them over for dinner, and surmised whether they had an enjoyable vacation together.
Have a look for yourself and decide with whom you would like to share a cup of coffee or would like to have as your neighbor:
- “Thank you very much for the use of your condo. We thoroughly enjoyed our first, but not last visit to S.C.”
- “Had a great time. Enjoyed your villa very much! However, you need to have the springs in the couch repaired. Very uncomfortable to sit on. Thank you.”
- “We have decided that this is where we’d love to live. It’s a golfer’s dream. Your courses are beautiful. The girls loved the beach, parasailing, bike rides, horseback riding, shopping! I love my tan. We will be back to visit! If you are ever in Arkansas, come to Stuttgart. We are 50 miles east of Little Rock. Stuttgart hosts the World Championship Duck Calling Contest every year during Thanksgiving weekend. We are known as the “Rice and Duck Capital of the World.” Riceland Rice comes from our little town and the ducks feed off of the rice fields during the winter after harvest. It is some of the best duck hunting anywhere. Thank you for the use of your condo. We’ve had a great week here.”
- “We really enjoyed your villa, but we won’t be staying here again. We just booked another villa at Colonnade for next year a couple of doors down for almost $300 less.”
- “Hello. My name is Amanda and I got here yesterday. So far we are having a good time. I’m eleven-years-old and I came here with my mother, grandmother, and my Aunt Loretta. She got here at the same time we did, but she is leaving tomorrow. We came all the way from Lake Wylie, S. C. I love it here and might be back next year.
- “It has been a fabulous time. This villa is bigger than our home! My niece is sure she saw a whale at the Old Oyster Factory, but we are sure she saw a buoy. Greg and Dad played golf together and we all played mini-golf. We went bike riding and “gator chasing.” The ocean is breathtaking. I’ve never seen it before, so I’m still in awe!
- “”When we first came, the keys wouldn’t fit, you forgot to give us a pass, and we almost ran over a biker. Get better service! Two grandmas were with us! Sixth time here – never happened before.”
The Bible tells us that we are simply visitors here on earth (1 Chronicles 29:15). The words we speak are also our entries in the Guestbook of Life.
What entries am I writing with my attitudes, actions and words for all the world to see? Will they think that I was a crabby old lady who wanted better service? Will they think I savored each day here with my wonderful family? Will they think that I would have preferred another life just a few doors down? Or will they think that I so enjoyed my time here that I wanted to share it with anyone and everyone who was passing through?
Do you want to know what we wrote in the Guestbook before we left?
“Thank you for the use of your beach home. July fourth is a time to celebrate our great country with its many freedoms. Our hope for all who follow us here is that you will know the freedom which comes from knowing the Truth that sets us all free (John 8:32).”
Steve, Sharon and Steven Jaynes – Matthews, NC
Dear Heavenly Father, Your Word tells me that I am a letter being read by everyone. I pray that I won’t be junk mail today. I pray that I won’t be like a bill making people feel like they owe me. I pray that I will be a love letter, a thank you note, and an invitation to celebrate life. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Now It’s Your Turn
What are you leaving in the guestbook of life for all to read?
What would you like to be leaving in the guestbook of life for all to read?
Go ahead, write it down?
Now, live this day as if you were a walking, talking letter from God to everyone you come in contact with!
Here’s your chance to start today. Leave a comment about one thing you enjoyed about yesterday or this day.
We are walking, talking letters to the world, telling them and showing them about what Jesus is like. Yikes! The Bible calls us Ambassadors. If you need to improve the quality of your letter, you might want to read The Power of a Woman’s Words to learn about the people we impact, the power we possess, and the potential to change. Just click on the link or go to the bookstore page at www.localhost/sjold .